Sunday, October 25, 2009

Really bad heartburn? I mean really bad!!?

OK I have really bad heartburn and I need to know what you think is the best medicine/remedy for it. Please it gets so painful sometimes it sometimes keeps me up @ night. I try water but it doesn't really help. Thanks so much!!
Answer:
I've had that! It's awful, isn't it?I used to take a prescription drug called Cimetadine. Today it is non-prescription. Its called Tagamet. Tagamet stops your stomach from making so much acid. It really helped me!Also you don't take Tagamet when you need it, you take it every day, or at least long before you think you -might- need it. It doesn't work immediately.If that doesn't work, you should see a doctor. There are better drugs now (like prevacid) for people who have really bad heartburn that Tagamet doesn't help.In fact it might not be a bad idea to talk to a doctor anyway. You might have GERD (Gastro-esophageal Reflux Disease), and that might need special treatment.It's also okay to use Tums or Malox or things like that. Take one, and if that doesn't help take another one. You can take up to four.There are pills now that have antacid in them (like Tums) and also an acid blocker (like Tagamet), so you get quick relief and also long-lasting relief.
You could have acid reflex, call your Dr for an appointment
it's called gas reflux, see your doctor and they can give you somthing for it, don't let it go could affect your esphosphgus
At first I tried Gaviscon which you can get at any pharmacy. Then I took Prilosec OTC twice a day and that helped a lot. You can also get that at the drug store. Caffeine and spicy foods and soda can all make it worse. Gaviscon helps within minutes and Prilosec OTC takes up to 24-48 hours to start working but will last a long time. Because mine was really severe, I eventually had to start taking prescription medication. The first two meds I suggested you can buy without a prescription. If the stuff you buy at the drug store doesn't help, see your doctor. Sounds like acid reflux which can eventually damage the esophagus if not treated properly.
First, see a doctor, rule out cardiac causes. Second, see a doctor, you may have an ulcer. Third, I like Tums for instant relief and Zantac (ranitidine) which takes effect pretty quickly and which is inexpensive at Costco. Over the counter Prevacid works well, but doesn't work quickly. Prescription drugs like Nexium are very good, but also don't work iinstantly. In all seriousness, if your heart burn is "really bad" and happens several times a week you should consider seeing a doctor.
Try Prilosec, it works great. It takes about 2-3 days to kick in. For immediate relief try putting baking soda in your water, works in seconds. It is the only thing that relieves my heartburn. I tried Tums, Rolaids etc. does not work for me so good.
Hun I suffer from heartburn alot. Tums is a quick cure, but take prilocec daily and it will stay at bay. Heartburn can lead to many other problems. If you go to your doctor, they can prescribe something for it, but unless you have really good insurance, they won't pay because there is so many things over the counter that you can use.
Are you sure it's heartburn? I was treated for GERD for about 4 years and come to find out I had gallstones. You should really be checked out by your doctor.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Should I go to Copyright 2008 All Rights Reserved Baby Blog Designed by Ipiet | Web Hosting

vc .net