Saturday, October 31, 2009

Sciatic and low back pain?

I developed mild sciatic pain in the left leg when training for a marathon 2 years ago. I quit running and started lifting weights which brought on sharp, stabbing pain. After 2 days the sharp pain went away, but since that time I get aching, sciatic pain whenever I run, walk or stand for long periods, or ride a bike. I鈥檝e seen chiropractors, doctors, and physical therapists but no one has been able to determine the cause of the pain (they鈥檝e never been able to recreate the pain during an examination by manipulating the SI, pushing on the piriformis, etc). The MRI is inconclusive (grade 1 bulge and slight narrowing of L5-S1, but nothing expected to cause my pain) and cortisone injections of SI joint and L5 provided no relief. The podiatrist says I don鈥檛 need orthotics and the doctors have no more suggestions for me.Has anyone had a similar experience? What could be causing my pain?
Answer:
It verywell could be something with YOUR -UPPER BACK AND/OR HIPS. (congenitial hip) _ I have an extra vertabrae in my back tooIt could be caused by the fact that maybe one leg is longer the the other when I had an orthotic made- OH I FELT ALOT BETTER! THAT STAPPING PAIN was not so bad...Instead of being so hard on yourself- TRY POOL THERAPY OR SWIMMING- can take a lot of PRESSURE off and help bring down the inflammation...Did you have cortisone shot or Epidural?
You may benefit from short term wearing of a brace called Orthotrac...
http://www.orthofix.com
The pain from mild-moderate sciatica does not recreate well with exam maneuvers, only the severe condition reliably can get reproduced pain during exams.
The problem with MRIs is that it's done with you lying down, and disc bulges are the worst when weight bearing, so you may not be seeing the true state of the weight bearing disc.
If the cortisone injections didn't help, then stay with conservative therapy - keep up the physical therapy they gave you, NSAIDs if needed - like some naproxen twice a day, and avoid the hard impact of running. (Could you change your cardio to an elliptical? Good workout, no impact.)
Have you gone through repeated motion testing with a PT with a backround in MDT (mechanical diagnosis and therapy)? The above response is correct, it is difficult to replicate symptoms in the mild to moderate cases. The MDT therapist will take a look and both your symptomatic AND MECHANICAL responses to REPEATED END-range movements or prolonged positioning. Only then will a true derrangement expose itself. One time, intermittent, static examination procedures as you describe will not expose a derrangement of the disc. If your therapist was not trained in MDT, I highly suggest it. Go to http://www.mckenziemdt.org to find a credentialed provider. It is not something that PTs get at their basic education. It requires many hours of continued education and hands on training.
Have you heard of the DRX-9000 decompression unit, I would give that a try since it seems like you have exhausted every possible route. I am a Chiropractor and I have seen many patients similar to your case that have been through it all from physical therapy, chiropractic adjustments, drugs, and the next day scheduling for surgery. Give it a try, it has great success especially since your level of disc involvement is at L5-S1. Hope you get well!
Sounds like you need to have a great sports massage! This will help get the tension out and relieve the sciatic area Muscles. You can also check to see if you insurance covers Massage Therapy so your insurance will pay for it!
I know I have to use this body for as long as I live so I refuse to take cortizone in any form (it stays in the body and deteriorates the body). I also know that nsaids, aspirin, etc. ruins the stomach. I was told by the chiropractor to take a multivatimin, put on cold packs, take an advil when in pain to bring down any swelling that puts pressure on the discs, and do the exercises but the exercises only made things worse. I changed my life and rest a lot, use a cane when needed (rarely), have my own business and work when I can, but I'm no longer in pain. I exercise laying down (no weight on my body).What's causing your pain? pressure from the disc...and that pain can be in your neck or give you headaches as well as give you pain in the leg.it's all connected.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Should I go to Copyright 2008 All Rights Reserved Baby Blog Designed by Ipiet | Web Hosting

vc .net